21 November 2007

On Invigilating

I'm so glad things are back to normal today--that is, I didn't have to wake up at 7am to get to a 9am Invigilators' Briefing. What is an Invigilators' Briefing, you may ask. To start off, the word 'Invigilator' needs to be defined. Towards the end of my first sem here in NUS, I got an email from the Department's AO (admin officer) asking me when I could invigilate. My first reaction was panic (my usual reaction actually in most cases, hehe), because I didn't know what the word meant, and being in a super-strict context (and being paranoid, hehe), I thought I did something wrong such that I needed to invigilate. Also, the word didn't sound like a happy word; it sounded like a bad, ominous word.

I suppose I should have consulted the dictionary then, but no. I emailed someone who was also a graduate of the program and was also an RS (research scholar--because only those with scholarships are asked to invigilate; not that it's a privilege, it's actually an obligation), and asked him what it meant. Probably detecting my anxiety, he emailed back right away and assured me that everything was ok, that 'to invigilate' only meant 'to proctor.' Turned out I didn't do anything wrong, but that I was right about the word being 'bad' or 'ominous.' Proctoring, or in this case, invigilating, is probably one of the most tedious activities in the world. (If you've ever done proctoring for the UPCAT, you'll know what I mean.)

My thought at this point though: Oh, ok, but why make it difficult? Just call it 'proctoring,' instead of 'invigilating.' Then I thought: 'Different country, different terms.' There are other terms here that are a bit different from the ones I'm used to. For instance, review (e.g., to 'review' for an exam) is called revision (e.g., most teachers would devote the last day of class to 'revision'); modules for subjects; 'a paper' instead of 'a final exam' (e.g., a classmate once asked me a few minutes before a final exam, "Is this your last paper?" to which I said "Yeah," which is my standard answer for questions I don't understand, hehe); and Uni for campus--all these, of course, are nothing compared to the 'invigilate' vs 'proctor' example.

So, an invigilator is a proctor. :) Having clarified that, an Invigilators' Briefing is an orientation of sorts for those RSs who have been assigned invigilation duties. For the most part, I really don't mind attending the briefing, even if I have done so several times, even if the same things are said and the same jokes are made every time, because I look forward to the chocolate eclairs that are usually served after the briefing. Those chocolate eclairs are good, and they come in minis, so they also look rather cute. :) When they scheduled the briefing this semester at 9am though, I wasn't sure the eclairs would be a good enough incentive to wake up that early (especially since I just had them about a week ago in a couple of lectures I attended, hee!). But since I didn't have a choice and I had to go anyway, I thought, "Oh, ok, at least, I'd have a treat after the briefing."

Spotting the refreshment table as I made my way to the the lecture hall, I saw that there were indeed eclairs. Nice! When I finally got to the eclairs plate after the briefing though, they were all gone. Actually, as I was nearing the plate, I saw the last person ever to have eclairs that morning, and she was getting two, she was getting the last two, of those little delights. And I was so close, and I couldn't stop her. Grrr! As I looked around later, I saw that some people had three or four! Hmph. It took all of my willpower not to grab those eclairs off their plates. I suppose the others come for the eclairs, too. Sigh. My realization: I better be faster in queuing up for the food next time.

P.S. I just realized I still haven't looked up the meaning of 'invigilate' after all this time. So I'll do it now. Done. And here it is:

invigilate

Main Entry:
in·vig·i·late
Pronunciation:
\in-ˈvi-jə-ˌlāt\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
in·vig·i·lat·ed; in·vig·i·lat·ing
Etymology:
Latin invigilatus, past participle of invigilare to stay awake, be watchful, from in- + vigilare to stay awake — more at vigilant
Date:
1553
intransitive verb: to keep watch; especially British : to supervise students at an examinationtransitive verb: supervise, monitor
— in·vig·i·la·tion \-ˌvi-jə-ˈlā-shən\ noun
— in·vig·i·la·tor \-ˈvi-jə-ˌlā-tər\ noun

-from Merriam-Webster Online

7 comments:

unwrecked said...

hey, yeah... my first time to hear of this word also was when i took the ielts. invigilators... parang nanggugulo for justice (uhm, ... vigilante + instigator = invigilator). corny.

dito din....the terminologies confuse me. ang unit dito is subject. so 3 units lang ako. parang ang tamad ko no?... hehehe. i miss your friendster blog. dito ka na talaga? i don't get notices kasi if you have new writings. sige na nga... uy, what's the complete name of your teacher pala who may have come from dole?

FenceSitter said...

hahaha. yeah, 'invigilator' sounds like a bad word. i guess we just have to get used to the new terminologies.

yeah, i'll probably keep this spot na. it's a bit tedious posting on friendster sometimes. check mo na lang to from time to time. haha.

re prof, i actually meant prof from NUS who did his PhD in your school now, University of East Anglia. his name's Ismael Talib.

i hope it's not so cold there yet, toix. take care! :)

unwrecked said...

ah right... so of course di ko kilala. yeah, they say maganda ang language/enlgish dept dito. i hear dito din nanggaling si kazuo ishiguro (remains of the day?). sometimes i check out their site dito and they actually get to invite some of these really good writers. one time napanood ko si amy tan. sobrang nakakatawa siya. send ko link.

sana nga makapanood ako ng live.


http://www1.uea.ac.uk/cm/home/schools/hum/booksandwriters/video/00to05

FenceSitter said...

wow, kazuo ishiguro! and amy tan. :) sige, i'll check the link. thanks. :)

alam mo, mukhang maganda nga english dept jan. one of my 'idols' way back was from there also. si roger fowler, author of 'linguistic criticism.' magaling din yun eh though mas language studies than lit naman sya.

pag may reading ang mga writers, punta ka! that should be fun. :) and i just thought of this: why don't you check out winterson's store there in the UK? not sure exactly where it is, but i know she has a store of sorts. check out her website na lang. di mo siguro sya ma-meet, but still, it's her store. hehe. and what if ma-meet mo sya?! OMG!

unwrecked said...

shucks! i didn't know she has a store... sige, hanapin ko sa internet! migosh, pag nameet ko siya... sana di snob. kasi sa mga interviews niya, medyo. hehehehehe. may angas. :) pero yeah, that would be great no! ... na-excite naman daw ako masyado. hehehehe! thanks!

FenceSitter said...

toix, if you haven't found the store yet, here is the link: http://www.jeanettewinterson.com/verdes.asp. punta ka na dali! :D

ok lang kahit maangas, si winterson naman sya eh. hahaha! excited din kami dito na makapunta ka sa store at baka makita mo sya. :)

good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!