05 November 2007

When Things Don't Work Out As Planned

I'm feeling really bad right now. Sometimes, I don't understand myself at all. I should be working, working non-stop actually with some major deadlines coming up, but instead, I've been gallivanting around the city, getting addicted to Facebook, and blogging. Sigh. I really am in big trouble, or at least, I will be, real soon. Sigh. Sigh. Anyhoo, might as well just continue with this post, because, well, I already started it anyway. I will just have to start with my work after this. (Like, seriously.)

So, first, my trips around the city. Honestly, I made a conscious effort not to make any plans for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so I could stay in and work. But I guess I was destined for something else last weekend. Let's go over the details, shall we? :-)

Thursday night, Fama told me she was going to Orchard on Friday to get her groceries at the Cold Storage in Takashimaya. Thinking it wouldn't take a long time and because I'd been missing Filipino food, I decided to go with her. We made plans to meet up after her class first, then go to Lucky Plaza to get the adobo I'd been craving, and then get her groceries. Things could have gone according to schedule, really, if not for the Big Brands Sale at the Takashimaya Square. (Ok, prior to this, we also spent a bit of time browsing and buying some books at a book sale, but that didn't really take a long time.) We were supposed to look only at the bags, but for some reason, we ended up looking at everything else. Fama actually began her Christmas shopping right there and then, and I got a little crazy, too, over some stuff.

So what was supposed to be a two-hour lunch and grocery shopping turned into a five-, six-, seven-hour and counting mad dash for sale items. Good thing I got to snag this:



And some presents for people back home, which cannot be shown here just yet. I also got a present. Yay! I wonder what it is. Ahem. :-)

You can probably imagine the state I was in when I got home. Yes, I was simply unfit to work. :-( But being the good girl that I am (hahaha), I put in about an hour's effort, which, sadly, was just not enough. I told myself Saturday would be so much better, as I didn't have any plans, and I really wouldn't go out no matter what food I was missing and wanted to have.

I did stay home all Saturday, but while taking a break (after about 30 minutes of organizing stuff on my desktop, not even real work, sigh), I decided to open a Facebook account. I didn't have any idea how Facebook worked. I was just curious, I suppose, because I'd already received a few invitations to sign up. Also, I didn't think it would take a long time. I thought I would just sign up, check out some of the features, maybe add a profile photo, then log out. Let's just say that I didn't know what I was getting into. A few hours after I signed up and a thousand apps later, I was still on Facebook.

Again, because I'm a good girl, I did manage to put in about two hours worth of work, but again, that wasn't really enough. Now, I told myself, "Sunday would be better. By tomorrow, the novelty of Facebook would have worn off, and I can begin concentrating on my work." My guilt appeased, I went back on Facebook to add more apps and send more growing gifts. Hehe. Then I heard Fama call out from the kitchen. I went out of the room, and there I found her by the washing machine, holding out a green sorry-looking piece of cloth to me and looking confused. Earlier in the evening, because she was getting OC, she washed the placemats, table runner, and table cloth. The placemats and table runner came out ok, but apparently, the table cloth just unraveled in the wash. I was confused, too, as I didn't know how something like that could have happened. It was cloth, and it looked washable. At least, before it got into the wash.

We found out later from our other flatmate, Thea, who bought the table cloth, that it was actually disposable. She bought it even if it was disposable, because at the time she was getting our tableware, she couldn't find a table cloth long enough for our table. Since we didn't know this, Fama and I were worried that Thea would get angry, pissed, and/or irritated with us-- should it turn out that the material was so delicate it had to be handwashed or that it had some sentimental value--because we didn't ask her first before it was washed. Thea was out for the weekend and was due to be back Monday. (Yes, I know, good intentions. But what is the road to hell paved with again?!)

Obviously, the solution here was to replace the table cloth right away, because we didn't want Thea to go home to a bare table. That was Saturday night, right? Which meant the next day was when we should get the table cloth. Which happened to be the Sunday I was supposed to stay in and work all day. But it couldn't be helped. So on Sunday, we were at the Giant Hypermarket in VivoCity first, then Ikea. The table cloth quest took the whole afternoon and part of the evening. Well, not really, but we also had to buy other stuff. We also just had to have this:





God, that was one smooth, rich chocolate ice cream. Actually, I couldn't quite decide if it was really ice cream. It tasted and felt like chocolate, but unlike chocolate, it was cold and creamy. Oh, well. The important thing was, it was really good, that chocolate ice cream, ice cream chocolate thingy. :-) (I suppose it better be given how much it cost. Heh.)

And we also had to eat. At this point, I was not anymore concerned about work, as I was already at Ikea and happily enjoying my cream of mushroom soup and swedish meatballs at the Ikea restaurant. (I don't know what's in the air or in the food in Ikea, but I'm glad it's there. It just makes me really happy and makes me forget stuff that worries me.)

Unlike the last two days, when I got home last night, I didn't get to put in any work at all. I console myself now by saying I did get to do some paperwork anyway, so that should count as work, yes? Ok, paperwork and more Facebook. Sigh.

So how's today looking? Well, I ran lots of errands in the afternoon and early evening, and now, I'm quite tired. But I promise, I promise I'll really put in lots of work hours tonight. Wish me luck. :-)

P.S. Here's the afritada I cooked a few days ago. I think it looked good, but it didn't taste as good as the previous one. Hmph.

No comments: