01 November 2007

Nov 1 Blues

I just had breakfast, or more accurately brunch, I suppose, as it's already noon. I had a belgian waffle, a toast, and pichi-pichi topped off with my favorite Ikea coffee. Lots of carbo-loading for me today. Not really because I have lots to do. It's more of me having such a physically-taxing and busy day yesterday that I ate up today the food and pounds I missed out on and lost yesterday. I know that doesn't make sense, but well, indulge me. :-)

So it's Nov 1. Here in Singapore, it's just really another ordinary day, not the big holiday it is back home. If I were home, I'd be in my hometown by now, in the cemetery--to visit and stay for a little bit with my dad and my grandparents. I'd also be catching up with relatives and childhood friends I didn't see or talk to on a regular basis. And there'd be lots of food to be had. My mom would always cook up a storm for our Nov 1 cemetery visits, lots of it to be brought to the cemetery (baon, hehe), others to be eaten at home after the tiring day. I know it all sounds like one big picnic, but isn't that the whole point?! I mean, Nov 1 does seem like, more than anything, a picnic and a sort of mini-reunion for Filipinos. At least, I find this especially true in the province--with the feasting and drinking and singing and all manner of merrymaking activities during the day visits and late-night vigils. It also seems every family has their own Nov 1 activities.

I suppose I'm just missing home. I was talking to my mom and my brother yesterday. As usual, I was asking my mom about the food she prepared. She said with a laugh, "Alam mo ikaw lang ang nagtatanong kung ano ang pagkain," to which I replied, "Eh kasi naman wala ako jan. Syempre di ko makikita mga handa mo." "Eh bakit di mo tanungin kung may flowers na," she persisted, still with laughter in her voice. Yes, she was teasing me. Eventually, she gave me a rundown of the food offerings, and I groaned as I heard each one, especially when she mentioned 'turbong liempo,' her specialty and my favorite among her many creations. Then I talked to my brother who then gave me a rundown of the goodies he got from Manila for pasalubong: GoNuts cupcakes and Krispy Kreme. Sigh. That's all I can say.

More than the food, of course, and the point of the matter really is that I'm missing a family thing again, because I'm away. It doesn't even have to be Nov 1. I suppose I just miss hanging out with my mom and my brother, gossiping about this and that relative, rehashing family stories and scandals, laughing at the most inane things, talking about what's going on sa Bahay ni Kuya (one of my mom's favorite shows), and just simply being there, in the presence of each other--all these while we feed Squee his favorite pastillas de leche. (He can have one whole bag in, like, minutes. Hehe. He is a fat pastillas de leche monster. I swear!)

Good thing I'll be going home this December. I'm just happy and thankful that I have that to look forward to.

No comments: