08 November 2007

Lazy Day and Some Good News

Today is Deepavali, the Festival of Lights, here in Singapore, and it's a holiday. Since I don't have classes anymore and pretty much have my own work schedule, holidays don't really affect me. (It can be a holiday every day, as far as I'm concerned--hee!--until, of course, the guilt finally hits and I start working frantically. Sometimes, I wonder how I can ever go back to work, with its crazy schedule and deadlines and everyday stresses, after experiencing this much freedom and time on my hands. I suppose I'll cross the bridge when I get there.) Still, it's nice when it's a holiday here. For some reason, the streets are just a lot more quiet, and there's none, or at least less of, the morning noise and rush, which, if you're a (super) late sleeper like me, can be quite annoying.

So in celebration of the holiday, I pretty much lazed around the whole day, which wasn't such a good idea, given how work has been piling up on me. It can't be helped though. I suppose holiday or not (it's kinda nice to have the holiday for an excuse though, hehe), I would have spent the day lazing around. I just didn't have the energy to do much of anything. Well, I did have the energy to go on Facebook and pet my Ty-grrr and check out my Multiply and respond to this and that. I also went to the grocery close to our place and got shrimps. Then I made buttered shrimps for dinner (which, ahm, I have to say, was simply yummy.) More than these everyday things though, I just couldn't find the energy. Well, I'm just hoping I'll be productive tomorrow.

Anyhoo, some good news today. The Amazing Race returns to Channel 5, Singapore's local English channel. Yay! Double yay! :-) I was feeling bad the other day, because I thought they weren't going to show it. TAR 12 already started running in the US last Sunday, and there was nothing about it at all on Channel 5. Then, as I was complaining about it over lunch earlier, what should suddenly appear on my tv screen?! A promo bit for TAR 12. :) A two-hour special begins the show Wed next week. I know it'll be a few days behind, but I'll take what I can get. Hehe. I'm such a TAR fan, despite the really bad (not)All-Star season. It's like my guide to the world's cities and cultures or something, and Phil is my tour guide. Haha.

Another wonderful tv news for me is the return of Project Runway for its fourth season on 14 Nov. I know I'll catch the episodes days after they show, but still, it's wonderful to know that I'll be hearing Tim Gunn say "Carry on" and "Make it work" again while looking absolutely stylish in his black and gray suits. I've also missed Heidi Klum, her gorgeous phrasing of English idioms, and her auf Wiedersehens. I think the reason I love this show is that I see so much of the creative process that goes into the creation of a piece of clothing. I also like the challenges and how they force the contestants to work within the limits of these challenges and still come up with something that's, at the very least, well constructed. I can't wait! :-)

Lest you think I do nothing but laze around and watch tv every day, hehe, I actually have some news related to school and/or work. The anthology on language, discourse, and identity in which an essay of mine is included finally came out. It took two full years, a bit more even, for it to come out. I remember submitting the essay in late 2004 and doing the revisions in early 2005. Here is the book cover:




Once I get the copy of the book, I will scan the table of contents with my article and my name (hee!) and upload it here. It's for those of you who think I got the scan above from some random book. Hehe. Seriously, just please indulge me for announcing this publication to the whole world. It's just that I'm mighty proud of being included in this anthology, and this is my first refereed publication. My essay's nothing great, especially when compared to the groundbreaking essays in the collection, but I worked really hard on it, and so I patted my back a little and did a little dance when I heard from the editor (thank you, thank you, thank you--for your patience with me and your guidance) that the book was out. And now, I spread my joy to you. :-)

No comments: