15 June 2008

Overcoming Fear at Jurong Bird Park

I have an insane fear of birds--the kind that gets me breaking into a cold sweat whenever I see or feel the presence of one. It doesn't matter what kind or size. As long as it has a beak and feathers, it's scary to me and I make sure I'm as far away from it as possible. This is basically how I've managed to deal with the little ones flying around the Deck--for non-NUS people, this is the Faculty of Arts and Social Science canteen, where little birds abound--looking for food. I just try to stay as far away from them as possible. If they start flying to where I am, then I make a really loud sound and/or swift motion, so they know I got there first.

I believe this fear was brought on by a dream I had when I was a kid. I was six or seven and taking my usual afternoon nap. I remember my feet were propped up on the window ledge just beside my bed. Then I dreamed the same thing: I was taking my afternoon nap, my feet propped up on the window ledge. Then, all of a sudden, a little bird came and started pecking at the soles of my feet. Then another bird came; this time, it was a little bigger, and started pecking too. Then a whole flock came, with even bigger birds, and they were all pecking and biting and making this terrible sound. I could feel flesh getting torn off and blood oozing out, and I was hurting so much. I started crying and shouting and screaming. Then I woke up. There were no birds, but I was crying. I never slept with my feet propped up that window ledge ever again. That window also remained close for a long time.

Until now, the memory of that dream gives me chills, makes my heart stop beating for some while. Deciding to go to the Bird Park therefore took years (well, at least, all three years that I've been here in SG), and lots of assurance that the birds wouldn't get near me because they were caged, and if, against all odds, they managed to escape from their cage and get near me, there would be professional handlers there to take care of it. When I finally decided to go last Friday, I felt like I did conquer part of my fear. I'm saying 'part' because I don't think I'll ever get rid of it entirely--the dream is too powerful--and because I don't think going to bird parks will ever be something I'd actually look forward to as a future activity. (I realized though that if there's an owl park or something that houses only owls, I'd probably go just so I could stare at the owls for hours.) Nevertheless, I'd like to congratulate myself on this one. Now, here's some photographic evidence of my so-called triumph. :)

Entrance to the Bird Park

And I was actually there. It wasn't just a picture taken from a bus or cab. I was there!

My favoritest bird: the great grey owl. It's so fluffy it actually looks like a pomeranian when it closes it eyes and all the feathers come together and bunch up. It happens to be very dangerous as well.

Since I couldn't take a picture with my owl-pom, I had to settle for this.

The meaning of pensive

Me and pink flamingos in the background.

Disclaimer: Okay, I have to confess I did go to the Bird Park once before--for something I wish to forget entirely. I did it, because someone whom I thought was a friend said she really needed my help. She turned out to be someone I just couldn't be friends with, and it turned out she just used me for that thing she asked me to do. That time however, I went only to this specific area of the Park after park hours and didn't even see any birds at all--as the person promised. At least, she kept her word on that. So, really, the first time I'd ever been to the Bird Park was last Friday.

No comments: