05 June 2008

Beginning of the Second Half of the Year

I know, I know, I haven’t been writing. I’ve been wanting to, but there never seems to be time for it. Or when I have the time, I find myself doing something else. I’ve made some kind of promise to myself, however, that I’ll try to come up with something--even if it’s just a paragraph or two--at least once a week beginning this month.

Or this second half of the year, as I’d like to think of it. I suppose I like the idea of ‘the second half of the year’ because to me it signals a more pronounced sense of beginning and end. You know, end of the first half, beginning of the second half. I don’t know if that makes sense, but to me, it means I have this clean slate of a second half, a fresh start. It means I can leave the distractions and addictions (Oh Facebook what have you done to me?!) of the first half and start anew.

I don't think I'd necessarily get to wean myself off at least two Facebook apps, and I also don't think I'd want to, but this time around, I believe I've developed strategies that would allow me to limit my 'play' time. (Well, that's the idea, so good luck to me.) I'm hopeful this would allow me to set some solid objectives, which I'd actually get to realize by year's end.

What are these objectives exactly? The first one, as I mentioned earlier, is to keep this blogging thing alive at least one post a week. The second is to keep to my writing deadlines for the completion of my dissertation. Just for the fun of it, I'll give you an idea of the kind of deadlines I'm up against: a chapter or two for every month, beginning this one. (It should have begun months ago actually, but remember, this is the beginning of the second half of the year, and I'm starting fresh. So let's just say, it all begins now. And for more fun, I also have a paper for possible publication due at the end of the month. I've definitely lots to fill my clean slate. Happiness!) The third thing is to respond to emails as they come--no more waiting for the right time to respond; I'll respond right away. The fourth and last one, perhaps the most important, is to stick to a writing routine. In the end, I think it is this routine that will save me.

I've always been a bit of a 'photo-finish' kind of person, and all these years, it's worked for me. I'm beginning to realize though that, when confronted with long-term writing like dissertation writing, 'photo-finish' just won't cut it. I have to have a routine. I have to have the discipline to keep to this routine. And if I do decide to seriously venture into academic life (read: publishing) later on, which, I suppose, is the inevitable course for someone wanting to get a PhD anyway, having a writing routine will probably make things less difficult for me.

I definitely have goals other than the ones above. I mean, goals that are not work-related, for after all, it can't be all work, right? I still intend to go to the beach, at least twice, and if I can help it, thrice. I'll go to Boracay. I'll go to Panglao. I'll go to Panglao again. I'll go to Tagaytay and eat lots of greens and tapa and bulalo. I'll visit all the restaurants I've been missing and visit new ones. I'll drink like there's no tomorrow. I'll really try to squeeze in a trip to the mountains. And I'll do all these with the people I love the most. In short, I intend to go home, and I really hope to do this very soon.

Before going home though, I'll go to the Bird Park and conquer my fear. I'll go to Sentosa, the Zoo, the Botanic Gardens, the Science Center, the National Library. I'll visit museums, walk around favorite spots in the city, maybe go on the Flyer. I'll watch a local movie or two. I'll go out more. I'll try to see and take in as much of this place that is not home, will never be home, but sometimes feels like home.

Now I know why I didn't have any resolutions when this year started. I'm to make them now.

No comments: