06 April 2008

And Still I Rise

So I was feeling a little sad today and a little tired of people and their expectations. Good thing I had this waiting in my inbox. A friend sent it out, because it's Maya Angelou's 80th birthday today. (Wow, happy birthday, Ms. Maya Angelou!)

I'm not an absolute fan of Maya Angelou, but this particular reading of hers--of this particular poem--does something to me. It makes me smile, makes me hope, makes me rise. I don't really know why. Something about the phrasing, perhaps, the choice of words. Or maybe, it's simply because of the way she reads it. So much joy there, so much sass!




Favorite lines:

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?


Ok, now, I feel a little bit better. :-)

1 comment:

hereitcomes said...

Hi, you have now made my day. I punched in to your Maya Angelou and WOW. I have been entertained! Thank-you, Thank-you. I am a first time blogger and now am very happy. hereitcomes