23 February 2008

More Shenanigans

I suppose it's obvious I really like the word 'shenanigans.' You know, I just realized I didn't even know I really liked the word until I used it last time. But it's a really good word, right? One of those words that really capture what they're supposed to mean? This doesn't mean though that it actually captures what I mean in the contexts that I've used it, but hey, as I've been saying, I like the word.

So last time, it was all about Bangkok; this time, it's all about home.

UP LANTERN PARADE

I think last year's parade was all about Oble in various incarnations, probably in preparation for the Centennial Lantern Parade this year.

In a dress?


Futuristic?


Goofy?


I apologize for the blurry pictures. My camera is not high-tech, and shame on me, because, as it is, I don't know how to work its lowly features. Hehe. Anyway, that's a sampling of the many Obles represented in the parade. There was something really different in this parade though. In all my years in UP and watching the Lantern Parade, for the first time, I finally got to sit up there in Quezon Hall. Thanks to friends in high places. Haha. It was great watching the parade there, because you'd really get to see everything. I should make sure to score a spot there this year, because the Centennial Parade is already being tagged as the 'best lantern parade ever.' Kinda like how every season of the American Idol is said to be the 'best season ever.' I think I can believe it about this year's lantern parade though. :-)

HOME SWEET HOME

You remember this?


Look it!






Isn't he the sweetest dog you've ever laid eyes on? Not really. Hehe. As you shall see, he can be quite nasty:

Nanggigil!


Sa liempo!


Now, some humans:

Mama and me


Jay and Mama


All three of us


UP AT 100

So after lots of eating and sleeping and fighting with Squee for the last piece of liempo (hahaha!), I went back to Manila just in time for the Centennial Kick-Off. I suppose more could have been done in terms of marketing the event, getting it organized, and producing cool merchandise--or at least merch that you could wear and/or carry around not just for Centennial events. Heck, a better sound system would have made the whole experience better! Still, when people started singing UP Naming Mahal with raised fists, all of these were forgotten. It was such an emotional moment--and one that really made me proud that I was a Iskolar ng Bayan, that I belonged to this community, and that I could call UP my own.




Indeed, UP, ang galing mo! (Which by the way is also one of the Centennial theme songs)


I suppose that's about it for now. I'll be back with more--yeah, you guessed it right--shenanigans later. :-)

No comments: